Saturday, September 1, 2012

Multi-Generation

This post follows my previous post pretty well, but I'll do my best to keep from repeating myself. I spoke with my dad about his use of social media and we discussed the differences and similarities between the way his generation uses it and the way my generation uses it. We agreed that each generation has their own motivations for making use of not only social media, but digital tools in general.

One of the biggest differences between generations is our reasons for connecting with people. Dad reaches out to old friends and acquaintances in attempts to reconnect and re-establish faded relationships. I, on the other hand, look for new professional connections and others with similar social interests to connect with. Don't get me wrong, I make connections with plenty of old friends, but my networks are much more extensive and diverse than Dad's. Dad's connections are pretty much family and close friends, and forget about connections with perfect strangers. I will at least give a stranger a chance to show me why we should connect, but Dad is having none of that.

One thing that surprises me a little is how many ways Dad is plugged in, digitally speaking. Dad has a facebook account, follows me on Twitter, we're in each other's circles on Google+, we're LinkedIn together, he blogs...at least he used to. He seems to have lost interest in blogging. How many of you or your parents can say they USED to blog? Still, though, while I'm looking for future employers and opportunities, he's content in his professional development and is settled into his city to the point where his face-to-face connections are the ones with the most potential to impact his career.

Finally, the thing that occurs to me after observing Dad for a while is how his extra-curricular activities have changed. When I lived at home, he was a member at the local country club, and we'd play golf and socialize for a while, sometimes several days a week. Now, he no longer belongs to a club, but keeps tabs with those guys through the various online interactions. He spends a lot more time working on hobby projects around the house, often utilizing Youtube for how-to videos to assist with his various projects. Meanwhile, I'm making connections and finding happy hours to attend or other social events and making new friends while actually losing touch with many of my older acquaintances.

Social media has had a profound impact on each of our lives for sure. It depends on who you ask whether the impact is good or bad. On one hand, I'd say Dad has lost the desire for face-to-face interaction with long-time friends. On the other hand, I'd say I've lost the ability to maintain relationships with my oldest friends. It's a trade each of us is apparently willing to make. We agree that at least we each had the chance to have real, personal relationships. Younger generations are already plugging in and spending more and more time online. At the rate they are consuming bandwidth, we both fear we may never really get to know our grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment